Hunter Coast FAQs
What do we receive from you in the way of a quotation?
We issue a 'Budget Estimate' initially, which is a 4 page document generally outlining what is involved with the construction of your home based on information received. If you are happy with the 'Budget Estimate' price, a full comprehensive 'Quotation' can then be issued. This is a 16 page document which gives you a trade by trade detailed inclusion list & fixed price for your project.
Do you carry standard plans?
No, we are a full custom-build company and do not offer any standard plans. The work we undertake has the plans for each project copyrighted to the client or architect/designer.
Do you employ an in-house designer?
No we do not, but we can recommend a few local designers who work closely with our company and are very reasonably priced and produce a good set of drawings that we know can be built with little trouble.
Will you take my plans through council?
No, we do not offer this service as it can be extremely time consuming. We feel this is better achieved by your local selected architect/designer to ensure the approval process can be efficiently managed.
Do you include driveways, fencing or landscaping as part of your quotation?
Yes, we are happy to include these works if required. On single home projects, however, many clients opt to undertake these works themselves directly with the subcontractors.
Can we supply products for the project, our own appliances for example?
Yes, you can supply your own products and Hunter Coast Homes will install them for you. They must however comply with Basix and Australian Standards, and you will need additional personal insurance cover for these owner supplied products in case damage or theft was to occur.
Will I get my plans back once they go to HCH for quoting?
Please submit copies of your approved plans only - not originals.  We will not return the plans submitted for quoting as they form part of our quotation and will have been worked on by our estimator.  
Will we have access to a colour consultant?
No, HCH believe that you should source a colour consultant externally if required. Naturally, we can assist and discuss many selections with you, but we offer an opinion only as our staff are not qualified in this area.
Do you build to lock-up stage only?
Yes, we have done quite a few projects to lock up stage only and are happy to submit a quotation on this basis.
Do we have to stay with the standard inclusions?
No, we can customise inclusions to suit your project. If you would prefer to upgrade from our standard range you can choose your products and we can either include them in your contract or you can add them as a variation either with HCH or directly with the supplier.
How do we go about getting a firm and fixed quotation from you?
HCH need to be provided with a full set of approved working drawings. This means that the drawings submitted to HCH must be ready to go into council or have already gone to council for DA approval. Engineering Plans must also be provided as well as any other information that is considered relevant to the pricing of the project. HCH will not provided a fixed and firm quotation from hand drawn or concept plans.
What type of custom projects do you build?
We build anything from custom single dwellings up to multi-million dollar custom unit developments.
Do we have full access to our site during construction?
No. Due to OH&S regulations, clients are not permitted to enter HCH job sites unless the visit is organised with a site supervisor or representative of HCH. You will also need to be site inducted prior to any on-site meetings. Construction keys are issued to trades and employees only, unless prior approval has been agreed to and arranged.
How long will it take to build my house?
This is a difficult question to answer accurately due to the individuality of each construction. As a general rule of thumb, however, 30 weeks is what we strive for on most projects. It is in our interest to ensure building times are kept to a minimum.
What type of building materials do you most commonly use?
Common materials at the moment include brick veneer, brick veneer with render finish, 75mm Insulclad foam cladding, Mini orb metal wall cladding, Hardies 16mm fibre cement weatherboards, and many more. We can offer most materials that you require to ensure the build quality and aesthetic of your project is not compromised.
What type of sites do you build on
We build on most types of building sites throughout the region, as we are a custom builder we often experience many challenging sites. For example, we can build on mine subsidence blocks, bearer and joists blocks for sloping sites, pothole footings sites, narrow inner-city blocks, knock-down - rebuild sites, busy road sites and all others in between.
What type of Building Contract do you use?
The HIA NSW Residential Building Contract for New Dwellings, Duplexes and Unit Developments. This contract has served us well during our 18 years of trading and it is also very client friendly as well.
Once our construction starts, when are we required to make payments?
There are 7 stages of payment throughout a project. The stages include a deposit, slab or sub-floor, frame, close-in, line-out, paint and completion, all as per the HIA Contract. Alternatively, we can also implement a monthly trade percentage complete payment system. This is our favoured method and seems to be well accepted by most financial institutions as you are only ever invoiced for materials and works completed on site at the claim date.
Can we change our selections during construction?
We strongly recommend that you don't, but we are very mindful that clients requirements can alter or change during the cause of construction. If you do make any changes, they must be authorised by HCH with any cost adjustments and extensions of time being issued in writing to the client for approval. All changes must be advised in writing in lieu of verbal instructions.
Where do we make our selections?
We have a preferred supplier list which is handed out before contracts are signed. The client is then required to visit the showrooms to make their selections and upgrade if they wish. A meeting between the client and HCH is required to finalised all selections and variations before contract signing takes place.
What type of communication do we have with the company during construction?
Our staff are available at any time during office hours. You will also have a supervisor allocated to your job and you will be given his direct number. Contract matters will be regularly forwarded via email or fax during the construction period to ensure communication with you is optimal.
What about insurances on my home?
We insure all of our homes with HIA insurance services. They issue a Home Owners Warranty certificate for each home/unit which gives you a 6 year structural guarantee on your home. We also provide Construction All Risk insurance and Public Liability Insurance to our clients on each project.
Do you supply me with an Occupancy Certificate on completion of works?
No, we do not issue this certificate. It is, however, available through your local council on completion of all works covered under the Development Application approved conditions of your project.